A Quick Guide on How to Leave Reviews on Amazon, Goodreads, Barnes and Noble, iBookstore and Smashwords
As a new author you need reviews to sell your book and you have just finished writing a book or a novel. The manuscript is complete, now what?
You have done some research on whether or not to try the traditional approach or self publish. As an author you are unsure what to do and as this is first time dealing with getting your book published. After you have weighed the pro’s and the con’s you finally decide to self-publish your book yourself. That’s great because you then have full control in all the decisions for all aspects in selling your book through all retail channels.
Self-publishing your books is your responsibility unless you hire professionals to do it.
A lot of hard work has gone into your potential best seller. The more research you do in educating yourself in self-publishing your book the better prepared you will be to sell it. You need to consider marketing and promoting your masterpiece.
In these two phases of getting your book on the bookshelves, there is a lot of hard work to do. Research and read as much as you can, then select all the best tools so you feel confident being a self-publisher.
As you are knee deep in marketing and promoting your book realization sets in as you need to canvas and get some positive reviews. For your paperback or e-book to be successful on the market in bookstores and online retailers you need those reviews.
You might feel overwhelmed but now comes the fun part. Go for the ride. To get those reviews you have to be prepared to submit your book to a lot of book reviewers in the genre you are writing. Ensure you properly follow the submission guidelines from each reviewers website because if you don’t it will be rejected. You will have to send out a lot of books or e-books in the format requested if they agree to read your book and leave a review. Some reviewers may request them to be gifted or in paperback. It is estimated that out of every 100 people who you send an advanced review copy (ARC) of your book to, you would be lucky to get 7 reviewers to respond and agree to submit a review.
That is a lot of work on your part but the end result of getting those reviews will be well worth its weight in gold.
For all the book reviewers who leave you a review (good or bad) you should be professional and always remember to thank all who left you a review.
Also, when you sell a book on the various online book seller websites, one of your biggest obstacles are getting reviews for your books from those customers.
A lot of readers who buy books don’t leave reviews after they purchase them. Why is that?
Authors rely on those reviews to drive up sales of their books.
Your customers who bought the book on Amazon need to be reminded to leave an honest review whether it be positive or negative.
A marketing and promoting tactic you could use is to include a thank-you letter at the back of your e-book or the print version of your book. The thank-you letter that you add into the back matter of the book should have a link back to where they purchased it so they can leave a review.
I am sure there are thousands of readers who aren’t quite sure that they should leave a review. So it is one of our responsibilities as the author to remind them and ask them for a review. A call-to-action (CTA) for authors to get reviews for their book. Remember the more positive reviews that you get the more sales you will get. Do a research on Amazon for your favorite author and see how many reviews they have received. If you want your book to successful send out as many invites to potentiel reviewers as you can.
The results might be staggering and could be well worth it.
You have sent out hundreds of emails to potentiel reviewers and now your book is on shelves in bookstores and through online booksellers.
Your book is selling and some customers have bought it, and now have decided they would like to leave a review.
The information below is for customers, so let’s hope they loved your book and now are going to leave you a positive review.
A Customer Wants To Know How To Leave a Review
The information on how to leave a review is posted on each website where customers bought your book. The info provided here is a quick link guide to those websites.
To leave book reviews on Amazon, Goodreads, Barnes and Noble, Smashwords and the iBookstore you need to have an account on each one in order to post a review.
Below are resources on how to leave a review on the various platforms mentioned above:
How to Post Book Reviews on Amazon, Goodreads, Barnes and Noble and the iBookstore
An excellent blog that is an awesome resource with videos and instructions by Shelley Hitz. You can leave reviews yourself or direct customers so they are able to leave reviews for your books.
Amazon’s Customer Review Creation Guidelines
“How do I write and leave a book review on Amazon?”
- Login to your Amazon account.
- Go to the product detail page for the item on amazon.com.
- Click Write a customer review in the Customer Reviews section.
- Click Submit.
“How do I write and leave a book review on Goodreads?”
- Login to your Goodreads account.
- Navigate to the book’s page where you want to leave a review for.
- Underneath the book’s profile picture, top left, rate the book using the stars (5 star rating scale).
- The “Want to Read” button will automatically be replaced with a “Write a Review” link and click the link.
- Write your review inside the review box that appears and click the save button.
Barnes & Noble
“How do I write and leave a book review on B&N?”
- Go to Barnes & Noble website at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/
- Create an account with B&N. Do this by clicking on the ‘My Account’ at the top of the website, then click on the ‘Create an Account’ button and follow these steps.
- Click on the ‘My Account’ button, and then sign in to your new account.
- Find the book you want to review on B&N via the website’s search engine.
- Click on the url hyperlink to the book link that you want to review.
- Fill in a star rating, review headline, review text, etc before submitting.
- Click on the ‘Submit’ button.
“How do I write and leave a book review on iBookstore?”
Mac or PC
- On your computer, open iTunes or the iTunes Store or App Store app.
- If you’re not signed in, sign in with your <Apple ID> and <password>.
- Click iTunes Store sub-heading.
- Find the item that you want to review, then click ‘Ratings and Reviews’.
- Under Customer Reviews, click ‘Write a Review’.
- Enter a title, select a star rating, write your review, then click ‘Submit’.
iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- On your mobile device, open the iTunes Store or App Store app.
- If you’re not signed in, sign in with your <Apple ID> and <password>.
- Find the item that you want to review, then tap ‘Reviews’.
- Under iTunes Customer Reviews or App Store Customer Reviews, tap ‘Write a Review’.
- If prompted, enter your <password>.
- Select a star rating, enter a title, write your review, then tap ‘Send’.
“How do I write and leave a book review on Smashwords?”
The review instruction process below (How do I review a book?), available on the FAQ page on Smashwords website.
“Visit the book page for a given title, and then below the table of different available file formats, you’ll see a link to review the book if you’re personally eligible to review a book. For example, if the book is free, anyone but the author is eligible to review it. If an author looks at their own book page, they won’t see the review option because authors can’t review their own books. If the book requires purchase, then the review link will only appear to people who purchased it.”
Hope this info was informative!
Leave a comment below if you would like to see something added.